Monday, July 21, 2008

Singer? Teacher? Both?

I know I want to sing. I want to be a performer on the stage. I can see myself doing it. It is what I want more than anything. It's what I want to be when I grow up. Music, unlike anything else I have encountered, has the ability to touch your soul. Music is the same in any language, in any country, in any continent. Musicians are the same too. Musicians are all in it for the love of it.

I saw a fantastic performance of the Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra the other night. Huge orchestra, predominantly Thai, but some farangs. They played, I listened, and it made me smile. It touched a part of me that has been sleeping for a long time. It was incredible.

Yesterday, I had the absolute pleasure of seeing "We Will Rock You" live in Bangkok. It was a touring group - I believe from Australia or New Zealand. But it was a fantastic show. By the end I was in tears. I couldn't cheer for the amazing performances, because I was crying. It was so amazing... but those people are who I want to be.

Sooooo... back to the real world. Two weeks of summer holidays - GONE!! I'm starting to look at planning for the start of a new school year; I'm about to sign a new contract for a new apartment; I'm taking on a voice student (which I hope will lead to more voice students); I'm giving up another year's worth of performance opportunities.

But not all is lost. I am in the crowd with Bangkok Opera. Bangkok Community Theatre is doing a G&S production after Christmas. I will find the opportunites wherever they may be. I will hunt them out.

Music is where it is at. That's where I want to be. I am masquerading as a teacher. But this won't be forever. This won't be all. There will be so much more to add to my resume. I will find a way.

2 comments:

2-ton said...

I got this on an alert, and I am very happy to see that you like WWRY, as I am a big Queen fan and a big MiG fan (Galileo). I hope you do pursue your love and dream of musical performance. Perhaps you can see the show again, or just go to the down elevator/escalator by the carpark, and meet the cast. Not only do they love meeting fans, but they would totally encourage you in your love of music.

cat bui thien than said...

Hi Teresa,
I just come across your site. I enjoy your reflections. You are very talent! Singer and Teacher!
Prase to the Lord!
Keep going, Teresa!
Nguyen